the only survival, the only meaning.”
- Thornton Wilder
Lately there are many people I know who are experiencing some kind of loss, including the death of a loved one. Two weeks ago I lost my beloved dog, Robey. I have turned to aromatherapy and my aromatic garden to help ease my heartache. One thing I've noticed about grief is that a new loss can reactivate prior, unhealed losses. Give yourself permission to mend it all. I hope these tips are helpful for you . . .
A Few of My Favorite Aromatics for Grief and Loss:
- Rose - A must have oil for heartbreak and loss. Rose has an affinity to the heart and brings a sweet, gentle comfort. Available as an essential oil, an absolute, and a hydrosol (an aromatic water).
- Helichrysum - Helpful for the initial shock and trauma that loss can bring. Apply one drop to the chest.
- Neroli - Also known as orange blossom, this exquisite oil is soothing and calming to the nervous system. It assists in the relief of repressed emotions and promotes a lightness of being.
- Roman Chamomile - Calms anger. Soothes restlessness and irritability.
- Blue Lotus - A rare and precious absolute with a delicate, otherworldly fragrance. "The lotus symbolizes the purity of the spiritual life of man, for as the flowers have their roots in the water, but float above in sunlight, so the soul of man rises above the earth life." - Eleanor Rohde
- Lavender - Lavender is a classic for a reason! Gently calms and aides restful sleep.
- Cypress - A great oil for going forward when one feels weary. Gives strength, centers, and helps one cope with and accept difficult change.
- Frankincense - Stills the mind and is helpful for meditation, contemplation, and prayer.
Feel free to contact me if you have any questions or would like a custom tailored aromatherapy blend for your unique situation. I also make an aromatherapy spritzer called Ethereal Light that features Blue Lotus and other healing oils for loss.